Saturday, November 24, 2012

State Championship

A week ago today I was about to step on the court to play in the AA Virginia State Championship in volleyball with 16 of the best girls I know and the 3 best coaches I've ever had the privilege of being coached by.  There is really no feeling like being in this situation.  This place is where every varsity team in any sport aspires to be.  This is the last possible game that any AA team in Virginia could play in.  It is such an honor and accomplishment to make it to this point.

Before the game I was talking to my mom and she told me, "The outcome of the game has already been decided.. we just have to find out what it is."  Unfortunately, the outcome was not the one I hoped for.

For five games my amazing teammates and I played our hearts out and ended the game in a heartbreaking loss to Loudoun County.  This team has won 5 out of the last 6 state championships.. aka they're pretty good.  A coach I had a few years ago used to always talk about teams by saying, "if this team and this team played each other ten times then this team would probably win this many games and this team would probably win this many."  I truly believe that if we played Loudoun County 10 times, we would win 5 and they would win 5.  Unfortuately, this game was one of their five.

This season was the best season I could have ever asked for.  My teammates were absolutely amazing and there was no drama on our team at all.  My coaches were great, changing from the past years' negative outlook to a positive outlook.

Win or lose, I'm so blessed to even be able to play a sport.  Much less on a team that excels so much and has no drama and amazing coaches.  I'm so thankful for so many opportunities and I'm so humbled to be involved in such a phenomenal program with such wonderful people.  I'm so sad volleyball is over, but life goes on and we all have so many more things waiting for us ahead in life.

What, then, shall we say in response to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us? - Romans 8:31

No comments:

Post a Comment